I spun off on this one . . .

The other night I was up late reviewing data/facts/statistics on issues of Global Climate Change for some work I'm doing on issues concerning Global Stewardship.

I do not know how or where, but I "came across" links to SPIN farming. I spent too many hours perusing the ideas connected to SPIN farming and the persons in various parts of the country that are SPIN-ing.

If I could slow down from too many "irons in the fire" in my life right now, I would love to SPIN here close to home. I have this grand vision of students from campus wanting to "dig in" to the efforts - perhaps on land right here around campus. But, then, I remember that they would probably rather eat in the cafeteria.

So, what is a SPIN garden, you ask . . . well, SPIN stands for S-mall P-lot IN-tensive.

SPIN-Farming is a non-technical, easy-to-learn and inexpensive-to-implement vegetable farming system that makes it possible to earn significant income from land bases under an acre in size. Whether you are new to farming, or want to farm in a new way, SPIN can work for you because:

* Its precise revenue targeting formulas and organic-based techniques make it possible to gross $50,000+ from a half- acre.
* You don't need to own land. You can affordably rent or barter a small piece of land adequate in size for SPIN-Farming production.
* It works in either the city, country or small town.
* It fits into any lifestyle or life cycle.

SPIN is being practiced by first generation farmers because it removes the two big barriers to entry - land and capital - as well as by established farmers who want to diversify or downsize, as well as by part-time hobby farmers.


SPIN yourself.

It's good for economic issues related to how money is spent within local places (ahh, thinking of great Wendell Berry poems/short stories here!). It is good for food produce - organic, healthy foods. It is good at getting "us" out into creation instead of into "big boxes." It is good for exercise and well-being.

It seems eupan to me.

~ marty alan michelson, ph.d.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Stages" for understanding Conflict

Positive Peace