I pray . . .

I strive to be a person who effects, embodies, and lives toward eupan.

It is not easy.

I may, in fact, be a horrible model or example of it - and I am certainly no exemplar.

Today I am reminded of the reality that individual persons continue to perpetuate and extend violence in our world. In the name of justice, sometimes violence is effected.

I pray for many people; parishioners, kids, family members, criminals, students, administrators, politicians, sinners, saints, doctors, teachers, wives, husbands, addicts, lawyers - and the list could go on.

I strive to be a person who effects, embodies and lives toward eupan . . . but sometimes prayer is easier.

Praying for people is easy. Actually living out goodness, especially towards those who perpetuate and extend it, is much more difficult.

So, I pray.

I pray that God will help me to effect eupan.

Prayer is easier than embodiment.

Embodying goodness takes more work than prayer.

But, I will continue to pursue prayer - and embodied goodness by embodying forgiveness.

Today I am reminded that as hard as it is, both prayer and embodied forgiveness are better and easier than the pursuit of institutional disputations that perpetuate violence. I pray, especially, for the persons who are responsible for perpetuating violence. God be with you, God redeem you, and may God save us.


~ marty alan michelson, ph.d.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Stages" for understanding Conflict

Positive Peace