Shoah Survivor Shares Vision of Peace


 chavka fulman raban


I'm not always comfortable with what I have read from the blog I am linking to - but this single link shares insight I can't access since I am not fluent with Modern Hebrew.  In a speech, translated by Richard Silverstein, Warsaw Ghetto Survivor, Chavka Fulman-Raban shares her views on the need to transform our world towards tolerance and peace.

From Silverstein:  "On Yom Ha-Shoah, one of the few remaining living survivors of the Warsaw Ghetto, Chavka Fulman-Raban, delivered a fierce denunciation of evil and injustice, including the Israeli Occupation.  Her speech was offered to guests at the ceremony of Beit Lohamey Ha-Getaot (the Ghetto-Fighters House)."

Her words include:

Rebel against racism and violence and hatred of those who are different.  Against inequality, economic gaps, poverty, greed and corruption.

Strengthen humanistic education and values of ethics and justice.  These too are [a form of] rebellion against alcoholism among our youth and the terrible phenomenon of attacks against the elderly.

Rebel against the Occupation. No–it is forbidden for us to rule over another people, to oppress another [people].  The most important thing is to achieve peace and an end to the cycle of blood[letting].  My generation dreamed of peace.  I so want to achieve it.  You have the power to help.  All my hopes are with you.   (Translation by Richard Silverstein.)

Toward eupan ~

~ marty alan michelson, ph.d.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Stages" for understanding Conflict

Positive Peace