Violence Against Women - A story of Hope & Kindness

I don't follow Hollywood actors or particular Television Shows - though I recognize figures here and there.  I recognized Sir Patrick Stewart - from his roles in Star Trek - and felt compelled to watch this video when it was linked with this information entirely copied from the BuzzFeed.com website.


A powerful 7:47 video of a Question and Answer described here, and worthy of your time for the story that is narrated.  Powerful. 

"While at Comicpalooza, a girl asked Sir Patrick Stewart a question about what the most important thing he’d ever done besides acting was. His answer was his work with campaigns against violence toward women, which led to this impassioned answer and wonderful gesture."



The girl who asked the question, Heather, wrote about what happened on her - including this tidbit:
They were about to move onto the next question when Sir Patrick looked at me and asked me “My Dear, are you okay?” I said yes, and that I was finally able to move on from that part of my life. He then passionately said that it is never the woman’s fault in domestic violence, and how wrong to think that it ever is. That it is in the power of men to stop violence towards women. The moderator then asked “Do you want a hug?”

Sir Patrick didn’t even hesitate, he smiled, hopped off the stage and came over to embrace me in a hug. Which he held me there for a long while. He told me “You never have to go through that again, you’re safe now.” I couldn’t stop thanking him. His embrace was so warm and genuine. It was two people, two strangers, supporting and giving love. And when we pulled away he looked strait in my eyes, like he was promising that. He told me to take care. And I will.

A compelling story that reminds us that the work of eupan is not just about large scale violence, massive casualties or major exploitation or harm.  The work of eupan begins in homes and with families, with a better understanding of all relationships.

Toward eupan ~

~ marty alan michelson, ph.d.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Stages" for understanding Conflict

Positive Peace